Stolichnaya has its origins in the Moscow State Wine Warehouse No. 1 which was opened in 1901 by the authorities to ensure higher quality vodka production. The earliest confirmed production date is 1948, but the label design clearly predates 1946. It is likely that it was created by V. G. Svirida around 1944. However, there is a trademark patent dated 1938, which is sometimes quoted as another birth date. In 1953, Stolichnaya was introduced at the international trade show in Bern and received a gold medal.
In Russia, the product is produced in the ITAR Distillery within the limits of granted License of the state owned FKP Soyuzplodimport, Vodka produced by FKP cannot be exported outside of Russia and has the distinctive “Russian Vodka” on the label. If bought outside of Russia, the product is produced by the SPI Group and the label reads: Premium Vodka, produced and bottled in Latvia for SPI Group and is labeled as Imported Premium Vodka. Before the dissolution of the Soviet Union, export bottles were made in the Ukraine. Both companies have been in dispute over the ownership of various trademarks since 2003.