Port Charlotte distillery was founded in 1829 under the name Lochindaal. Lochindaal remainded active for exactly 100 years until she was shut down in 1929. In March 2007 Bruichladdich announced it would re-open Lochindaal under the new name Port Charlotte. The distillery equipment came from Dumbarton which was closed in 2003. Port Charlotte’s first bottling was PC5, a 5-year old heavily peated Islay whisky distilled in 2001.