In 1826 the exuberant and extroverted James Allardice founded the distillery and produced his ‘Guid GlenDronach’ single malt. Down the years, the distillery he created has thrived under the stewardship of far-sighted investors like Walter Scott in 1842 and Captain Charles Grant in 1920. In more recent times, GlenDronach was bought in 1960 by William Teacher & Sons. Glendronach was the second distillery in Scotland who became a licence issued under the 1923 legislation.
Like many other distilleries Glendronach was mothballed in 1996 but already re-opened 5 years later under supervision of BenRiach.