Production of anCnoc began at the Knockdhu Distillery in 1894 following the discovery of several springs of the purest, crystal clear water on the southern slopes of th Knock Hill. At this time two pot stills could turn out 2500 gallons of spirit per week, motive power being supplied by a 16hp steam engine. Cottages were built for the workers and their families, creating a new community around the Distillery. Much has been done to modernise buildings and machinery, but very little has changed in the distillation process. The two originally designed pot stills remain, giving Knockdhu the same traditional, distinctive flavour as was first tasted more than 100 years ago. To locals the knock hill is know as anCnoc which comes from the Gaelic Black Hill.
In 1993 the malt was renamed anCnoc to avoid confusion with Knockando; in 2003 this brand name was officially relaunched.