Founded in 1826 by James Henderson at the height of Wick’s celebrated herring boom, the Pulteney Distillery is meanwhile the most northerly on the British mainland.
At a time when road links to the town were yet to be established, the distillery was dependent on the sea for its supply of barley and for the shipping out of its malt whisky. Wick became known for the barrels of silver (herring) and gold (whisky) which left the port in vast numbers.
Over time, the distillery has passed through the hands of various owners, and even closed during times of trouble for the industry in 1930. Luckily, the repeal of an often forgotten period of prohibition in 1947 saw the welcome resumption of whisky production, with the distillery changing ownership a number of times, before its purchase by Inver House Distillers in 1995. Throughout this history what has endured is the quality of the whisky. Traditional craftsmanship and the distillery’s windswept location continue to contribute to the award-winning whisky that is Old Pulteney Single Malt Scotch Whisky.